Subject: RE: [office-formula] Punctuation issues

Concerning the naming of parameters, I think that italic type is preferable.
I also recommend lower-case to avoid confusion with type names which are
already capitalized.  I recommend against italic type for type names (I
misunderstood this practice in a previous note), because they are already
capitalized as proper nouns.

With regard to the descriptive phrases, the only convention that I have seen
is that if they are phrases but not sentences, they should not begin with an
initial capital (unless a common noun is at the beginning) and no
punctuation is used at the end of the phrase.

[EXCEPTION: If the portions of parameter description are meant to be read as
phrases in sentences, then appropriate punctuation is required and the
tip-off is usually the presence of verbs.

E.g.,

    Parameters

       startDate     ordinal-day representation of
                     of the earliest calendar date
                     included in the interval

       endDate       ordinal-day representation of
                     the first calendar date after
                     the interval

in comparison with,

    In the parameter list,

       startDate     is the ordinal-day representation
                     of the earliest calendar date
                     included in the interval;

       endDate       is the ordinal-day representation
                     of the first calendar date after
                     the interval.

So long as we are using the example of dates and ParamDate, we should also
be able to learn somewhere:

    When a Number for an ordinal day is provided directly,
    its interpretation as a calendar date is relative to the
    setting for NULL-DATE that applies in the context of the
    function reference.

    [NOTE 1: When startDate is for the same day as endDate,
     the interval has 0 days duration.  When endDate is in
     the next day past the day of startDate, the interval
     has duration of 1 day. {This could probably be put
     somewhere in the treatment of days and calendars too.}

     NOTE 2: It is possible for startDate and endDate to
     be for the same day even though startDate != endDate,
     i.e., when FLOOR(startDate) = FLOOR(endDate).]

   ]