Subject: Re: [office-formula] constraint of ACOT

Hi Rob,

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 12:04 -0500, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Is the objection over the reference to PI() rather than directly using the
> Greek letter Pi?
>
> Or is the choice of convention the problem?
>
> According to http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InverseCotangent.html there are
> two conventions: (0,Pi) or (-Pi/2, Pi/2).  The former is continuous, while
> that later has a discontinuity at 0.

No, my problem is much more pedestrian:

If a constraint is violated the function should return an error. So how
can a constraint talk about the function result?

Suppose the return value is a number not in the range from 0 to PI(),
then by the return value must be an error, since the constraint is
violated. But if it is an error then it doesn't violate teh constriant
anymore....

I think that should not be a constraint.

(We might want to add to the semantics that we are returning the
principal value or the value derived from the branch through (1,PI()/4,
but that wasn't my problem.)

Andreas