Subject: Re: [office-formula] Formula Terminology

Hi,

it seems we reached consensus on these items:

1. Constrains should not talk about errors, but just state the permitted
values. That functions return an error if non-permitted values are used
is said already in section 5.2, which should be adapted as follows:

"If a constraint is not met, the function/operator
*shall* return an error unless otherwise noted"

2. If the semantic description of function lists parameter values that
result in an error, this may be moved into a constrain. However, not all
statement that are made in the semantic description can be moved into
constrains.

There was further some discussions regarding the use of "should".
Regarding constrains for parameters, my recommendation is to use neither
"should" nor "shall", but to just list the allowed values. For instance:

RATE()

Constraints: Rate>0, AnnualYield>0, Redemption>0, Frequency = 1, 2 or 4.

Why? The constrains for RATE() right now are:

Rate, AnnualYield, and Redemption should be greater than 0;
Frequency = 1, 2 or 4.

If we replace the "should" with "shall", then one may read this as that
using a value outside the allowed range results in a non-conforming
expression. But that's not what is intended to say. What is intended to
say is that values outside the range result in errors at evaluation
time. And that is already said in 5.2.

Best regards

Michael