Subject: Re: [office-formula] Question on scope

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 01/18/2010 02:45:24 PM:

> One of those was a quick and dirty description of the scope of
OpenFormula.

> One of the current paragraphs in 1.1 says that OpenFormula does not
> define a user interface. It goes on to say that different applications
> have different syntax.
>
> OK, but don't we define a syntax? Granting that some application might
> make other choices but that seems like a user interface to me. Unless
> the term is being used in some manner I don't recognize.
>
> Anyway, thought I would call attention to it.

There is the OpenFormula syntax, which we do define, and then there is the
syntax which the end user uses when entering and editing formulas in the
UI of a spreadsheet.  We do not define that, although applications will
typically expose a UI that uses a syntax that is trivially mappable to the
OpenFormula syntax.

-Rob