Subject: RE: [office-formula] Expression Calculation: expression = formula?

My understanding is that formula is the super class in the send that it
allows any expression to the right of the "=".  That expression becomes the
whole expression of the formula.

The syntactic definition should make this clear.  There should be nothing in
the syntax for expression that has a constituent named formula.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Durusau [mailto:patrick@durusau.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 07:41
To: robert_weir@us.ibm.com
Cc: office-formula

Rob,

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 01/23/2010 10:20:48 AM:
>
>> I am trying to work out a normative statement from current 2.2
>> Expression Calculation.
>>
>> I stumble over sentences like: "Any formula is an expression that
>> produces a result."
>>
>> So, is an expression that doesn't produce a result not a formula?
>>

> I guess the question is: Is this intended to be a definition or a
> constraint?
>
> The definition of "formula" ought to be done in terms of match a
> non-terminal identifier in the BNF grammar.  In other words, it is defined

> syntactically.
>
> If it is meant to be a constraint then it is a constraint on the Evaluator

> (formula processor) not the formula itself.

I am not sure why it appears under 3 Types but the opening line of 3.1
General says:

> OpenFormula expressions, including formulas, always produce a value.

I read the relationship between expressions and formulas to be the one
Dennis points out, that any expression prepended by one or two "=" signs
is a formula. And matches the formula BNF. Anything that matches the
expression production but not prepended by one or two "=" signs is an
expression.

What is confusing is that the text appears at points to treat
expressions as a superclass that includes all formulas.

Actually I think they are distinct classes by definition.

To restate the opening sentence of 3.1 (assuming it were placed
somewhere else in the document):

"Evaluation of OpenFormula expressions and formulas shall produce a value."

Whether we want that as a constraint on evaluators is another question.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick