Subject: Re: [office-formula] Groups - OpenDocument-part2-draft18-editor-revision(OpenDocument-part2-draft18-editor-revision.odt) uploaded

Eike,

Eike Rathke wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> On Monday, 2010-02-01 13:50:04 -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>

>> We still need to decide what to do with the portable language.
>>
>> One option would be to move it to a normative annex that treats
>> instances of syntax. The no revision of the portable language speaking
>> of documents would be necessary.
>>

> I think moving the portable document text away to a separated annex
> wouldn't be good. It is much easier to understand if it is kept within
> context.
>
> Earlier we agreed to convert portable documents language to portability
> notes, and in a second step turn parts of those notes to normative text
> where necessary.

No, we agreed that I would examine the text and mark all the portability
material, of which there is a considerable amount.

Some of the options for disposition of that material included
portability notes and/or normative text.

There was no agreement that *all* of the various portability material
would either become a portability note or would become normative text.

Which would result in all of the current portability material remaining
in the text under one guise or another.

That has never been asked nor answered in any decision taken by the TC
or the formula SC.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

>>> Apart from that there's a problem with removing the word "typically".
>>> For example, a sentence like
>>>
>>> "A currency is a subtype of number which typically is displayed with
>>> a currency symbol."
>>>
>>> just said that. Removing typically there it suddenly becomes
>>> a definition "A currency is a subtype of number which is displayed with
>>> a currency symbol.", but that's not true, the actual display depends on
>>> the number format assigned to the cell. The same with Percentage,
>>> whether or not the number is multiplied by 100 and a percent sign is
>>> displayed is not defined by the type.
>>>

>> Well, but the display of any subtype depends upon the number format
>> assigned to the cell.
>>

> Yes.
>

>> The issue with "typically" is that we don't say when currency with
>> "typically" appear with a currency symbol and when it will not.
>>
>> To say "typically" is vague.
>>
>> If we want to say: "A currency is a subtype of number that may appear
>> with or without a currency symbol or with other formatting depending
>> upon the number format assigned to the cell where it appears."
>>
>> That avoids the vagueness of  "typically" and doesn't leave any doubt as
>> to the mechanism that is producing the difference in presentation.
>>

> I'm fine with that.
>
>   Eike

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34