Subject: Re: [office-formula] Portable documents language

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 05:07 -0700, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >> Willing to be surprised if you have a regex that will neatly solve this
> >> issue!
> >>

> > ( [A-Za-z]+[0-9]+ )
> >
> > describes exactly the cell references. So I am not sure why you don't
> > like that.
> >

> Don't like it because your regex would prohibits all names that are
> ASCII letters followed by digits.

On a sufficiently large spreadsheet, they are all sheet references. I
note that OOo for example prohibits the use of WE53 as a defined name.

> Solves the problem, yes, but fails to recognize that users may already
> have names that look like cell references.

That would be unfortunate.

> Or do you mean to exclude all documents with such identifiers from being
> "portable?"

No, I don't think that should be allowed. In fact I see I less reason to
disallow TRUE and FALSE than sheet-reference look-a-likes since in a
translated application TRUE and FALSE may in fact not have any special
meaning.

Andreas