Subject: Re: [office-formula] Portable documents language

Do implementations actually prohibit names that look like cell addresses,
or only names that are actually cell addresses?

Particular example.  Excel before 2007 supported 256 columns.  So columns
A through IV.  Excel 2007 increased the limit to 16K, so columns through
XFD are allowed.

In Excel 2003 I get an error if I try to define a name called "A1".  But I
do not get an error if I try to define a name called "XFD1".  Presumably
the later would be an error in Excel 2007 or later.

So I'm wondering whether "looks like a cell address" even if we give a
regex, will be entirely accurate.

But I suppose as  a portability note, this is good advice.

-Rob