Subject: Portable language?

Greetings!

I am cleaning up the last of the "portable" language issues and ran across:

Creators of portable documents shall use conversion functions (such as VALUE, DATE, DATEVALUE, TIME, and TIMEVALUE) when this specification does not require such conversions. Note that some of these functions are locale-dependent, and their use can result in documents not working the same way in different locales.

Sorry, that sounds like a contradiction to me.

Shall use conversion functions --- when this specification does not require such conversions.???

I am sure I am simply missing the context but even typing it into this email did not help (it usually does).

Is this meant to say that explicit conversions should be used? As opposed to relying upon automatic conversion?

If so, that isn't what this says. Or at least it doesn't say it clearly.

Thanks!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)