Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [office-formula] Straw poll - slug (and lightyear)

Rob said, regarding light-year:
> That matches the International Astronomical Union's definition as well,
> only they say as distance light travels in a vacuum in 1 Julian Year,
> which is 365.25 days.

Ah!  Can you post the citation?  I think we should cite a source.

> On the other hand, the IAU says Pluto is not a planet, so I don't know if
> we can trust them anymore.

:-).  I've posted my own thoughts on that here:
http://www.dwheeler.com/blog/2006/09/01/#planet-problems
But I'm no astronomer, so I'm certainly not an authority on the topic.

Anyway, I think we should be as accurate as possible on the conversion function.
It's an easy function to get 'slightly wrong' without anyone noticing for a while,
and that would be bad.