Subject: Cross References

Hi,

a couple of days ago Patrick notified me that part 2 currently uses
hyperlinks and booksmarks for cross references in the specification,
while the other two parts use literal references (that is section
numbers like "2.5" behind the term which is the start of the reference).
He asked me whether we can convert the hyperlinks and bookmarks into
references by an XSLT style sheet.

Background is that in a printed (ISO) specification, the hyperlinks are
not of much value. And also for consistency, we should use the same
referencing style in all three parts.

I have investigated this, and now have a style sheet ready that does the
necessary conversion. The style sheet would be applied when we create a
"product" version from the editorial draft, that is, at the same time
where the annotation sections are removed. That means that the editorial
version itself does not require any modifications (except that a few
references are currently broken and need to be corrected). It could
continue to use bookmarks and hyperlinks.

If no one objects, I would ask Patrick to send me his draft when he is
ready with the CD02 candidate draft. I would when correct the broken
references and run the conversion when creating the "product" draft,
which would be the draft we vote on as CD. That draft would contain
cross references rather than hyperlinks.

Best regards

Michael

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS