Subject: Indexing, was Re: [office-formula] Groups - OpenDocument FormulaSpecification Draft23 2010-04-11 (ODT)

Eike,

On 4/12/2010 7:09 AM, Eike Rathke wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> On Monday, 2010-04-12 01:44:39 +0000, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>

>> A step towards the final version of ODF 1.2 part 2!
>>
> Great! I'm wading now through to accept (or reject, hopefully not) the
> gazillion of changes, and if time permits clear up the commented so far
> unaccepted changes. After that, Michael will create a CD document the TC
> can vote on.

Thanks!

I realize there are some outstanding JIRA issues but I think we are
getting to the point that we can see what the new draft will look like.

BTW, the index remains an outstanding item. I suspect we need some
discussion on the level to which we want indexing.

That is to say, we would index ACOS on page 240 (in the present editor's
draft) but would we also index the cross-references to ACOS such as COS?

ACOS - 240 (main entry)
(no cross references)

versus

ACOS - 240 (main entry)
     COS - 281 (cross-reference)

Either one is a legitimate choice.

Note that the functions often occur inside their entries but I would not
repeat those as index entries, even if they span to the next page.

Outside of their entries, harder question.

Personally I prefer the deeper indexing but as I said, either one is a
legitimate choice.

Since we have extensive hyperlinking, the use of the single entry form
doesn't really put anyone at a disadvantage.

On the other hand, the greater precision of including the
cross-references might make it marginally more useful.

Hope you are having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)