Subject: RE: [office-formula] Handling of JIRA issues

It is clear to me that I can find defects without knowing how they should be
resolved or even might be resolved.  I might notice that something is
underspecified, inconsistent, or that there is a contradiction with another
provision without knowing what the correct resolution might be and what the
original intention was when the provision was introduced.

For example, I have no idea how to specify what is essential about a
manifest.rdf document in an ODF 1.2 package, yet I can easily determine that
there is not enough information for the implementer of a producer to be able
to know the answer from the specification itself, which means that consumers
won't know what to expect or count on either.  Finally, the condition that
editing of a document should preserve the RDF metadata is ridiculous, but
providing a sharper statement is very difficult.  (I understand it is only a
recommendation in the JTC1 normative-language sense, but it is a very
peculiar recommendation in this case.)

The same thing happens with regard to, say, OpenFormula section 4.8 on
Reference syntax.  There is not enough information to know how a cuboid is
determined in all of the variations, and what the additional requirements
are for a cuboid to be determined.  There's more.  I could propose by
guessing, like I did for the allowed text of passwords in order to be
precise with regard to table:protection-key and
table:protection-key-digest-algorithm, but it would be irresponsible for me
to claim that this is a correct or even agreed resolution.

In some case, I might be able to say what sort of action needs to be taken,
but I would not know what are the correct specifics.

The fact that someone doesn't raise their hand to fix it does not mean, to
me, that a recognized, significant defect should receive a free pass and be
"shipped."  We might need to make a policy decision, declare the feature
implementation-dependent, or something like that.  I guess I could propose
such resolutions.  Does that seem satisfactory, if I or anyone else were to
see an unowned issue about a substantive defect no one takes on?

 - Dennis