Subject: RE: [office-formula] Summary 2010-09-07 of OpenFormula meeting

I don't understand the statement about surrogate pairs.

My understanding is that the surrogate code values are not valid Unicode
code points.

Surrogate pairs are, in my understanding, only meaningful in UTF16 encoding.
The surrogate codes are blocked out from Unicode code points as a
convenience and for historical reasons.  Use of surrogate code values as
code points is ill-formed.

(You should never see a surrogate value in a UTF8-encoded Unicode text, for
example, and not in UTF32 either.)

My reading of XPATH section 3.6 is that they are emphatically not assuming
UTF16 and there is a warning that when handling UTF16 encodings,
implementers should be careful to treat surrogate pairs as the single
Unicode code point that is represented by the pair.  (The XPATH
specification also refers to Unicode code points as Unicode abstract
character scalar values.)

Although XPATH warns that if two strings do not happen to be normalized the
same way, unexpected results may occur when those strings are compared, I
don't believe that XPATH requires or provides any normalizing.  (Nor should
we, IMHO.)

 - Dennis