Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Legal metadata

Gary,

No, I think we should continue to just say "metadata."

If we accept the notion that metadata is data about data, what else is
revision history if it is not data about data (the data added or removed
from a document)?

Envelopes don't come with a warning to ransom note writers to not lick
the envelopes (DNA evidence). Nor do deposit slips in your checkbook
carry a warning: "Do not use for robbery notes to bank tellers." But
both cases happen often enough.

On the other hand, I do think we need to make the case for how metadata
helps with work flow and other issues. Work flow means $$$ in a law
office (other offices as well, but we are talking about a legal example)
and part of that work flow may be a final scrubbing of the document
before it leaves the office. If the benefits are there, no amount of
risk is going to slow this train down.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--