Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Legal metadata

Sorry, my professional ethics committee has deemed reading emails
un-everything. can you please fax the information ;)

Thanks for the story, is there anything we can do to educate these
people that what they are talking about is not metadata specific, but a
problem of the applications they are using?

I can see how digging a document for leaked information can be
considered un-something. However, I think it is very dangerous, to imply
that there is a single technology (i.e. metadata) that is the sole root
of information leaks. Metadata can be a vehicle/container for leaked
information, but so can be email-headers, links to local files,
information embedded in images, black text with black background (my
favorite), reflections on shiny objects in photos...

IMHO they should rather motion against software that leaks information
and thus jeopardizes the privacy of its users.

/lars

--
Lars Oppermann <lars.oppermann@sun.com>               Sun Microsystems
Software Engineer - StarOffice                           Sachsenfeld 4