Subject: Roundtripping

Greetings!

Sorry, another question. This time about roundtripping.

Yes, if we provide the ability, metadata can be associated with ODF
elements that enable better roundtripping to other XML formats.

Question: Do we mean to include the use case of converting from an XML
format to ODF, editing the document, and then going back to the foreign
XML format?
Seems to me that is the most useful case, but then an application has to
understand when to insert the "source" metadata on the appropriate
elements in the ODF file.

To illustrate:

Now I want to insert a new <p> in ODF. Do we simply say that an
application can use the roundtripping metadata, without saying how, to
create more content that can be mapped to the foreign format?

Being mindful that the average user may not even be aware of the
different element types in either the foreign format or in ODF.

I still think this is am important use case but I am not sure if we
should say anything about the new content in ODF or simply leave that up
to implementers.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--