Subject: Metadata mechanism

Greetings!

Adding a paragraph in the introduction that notes a general theme that
metadata should use an element structure and not attributes. The issue
comes up with collaborative editing, the same "metadata" from multiple
authors but also enables user naming of metadata without requiring
schema changes, as would be the case with attribute based metadata.

Should note at some point that element based metadata does not prevent
hard coding metadata for some purposes in the schema, while using the
same mechanism for custom extension of the metadata.

I have been thinking about how this would work for things like roundtrip
mapping, security, etc., and I have yet to encounter a case that cannot
be handled by element based metadata. For round-tripping it requires
rethinking how to link the metadata to the element in question but I
think the advantages of a single general mechanism to handle metadata
that does not require changes to the schema no matter what metadata is
in question is a net win.

Not to commit myself or anyone else on syntax but thinking along the lines:

<metadata> <!-- generic metadata container -->
<name></name>
<value></value>
<apply> <!-- point of application, if absent, applied to immediate
ancestor in tree, always last element in metadata element, I avoided
saying link as that implies a particular method of addressing -->
<metadata> <!-- recursive embedding of metadata element --> </metadata>
</metadata>

Thoughts? Comments?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick