Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Backward compatibility mechanism (achieved by thepreserving of information not understood)

I believe the former was intended.  But keep in mind that ODF 1.0 says that preserving foreign content is only a "SHOULD".   If an implementation does not do this, and strips out unknown content, possibly metadata, when writing, then round-tripping of documents between semantically-rich and non-semantically-rich editors would be suboptimal.  So I'd recommend this use case to encourage us to think about changing the "SHOULD" to "MUST", or suggest other conventions for allowing such information not to be lost when exchanging documents among a heterogenous set of editors.

-Rob