Subject: Re: [Fwd: Thoughts on use case draft]

Hi John,

On Jun 29, 2006, at 1:21 AM, John C Barstow wrote:

> ==Bibliographies and Citations==
> This is a great use case for calling out explicit support for a
> specific
> ontology. People can then build support and tools around this support.

Getting ahead of the use case, but I've long argued that if ODF was
enhanced to offer out-of-box support for the rest of DC (including
Qualified DC), bibliographic support could be covered with a handful of
additional properties. Given that Open XML now supports DC and QDC
(though *how* is still unclear to me), this seems a no-brainer to me.

I rather like the idea of thinking in terms of the RSS language of
"modules."

> ==Ontology Validation==
> Very tricky. Validation generally requires a closed-world assumption,
> while many ontologies have an open-world assumption.

I was never clear on this one. Is it really even a use case? I think
not.

But certainly we'll need to deal with it at some point.  With RELAX NG,
it's not hard to create a generic metadata validator. If you're talking
a profile of RDF, you can't validate stuff like linking (e.g. the uri
of this link matches an id for the endpoint), but you can certainly
validate the basic structure of the XML.

> ==Realtime Collaborative Editing==
> Open-world assumptions are your friend.

Yeah, this is where the discussion came around to the observation that,
from an XML standpoint, metadata would need to be encoded as elements
rather than attributes. But it is, of course, tied up in larger issues.