Subject: Call for more use cases

Greetings!

I sent the announcement below for posting by the ODF Alliance.

For those of you with contacts with large corporations or foreign
governments in particular, advising them of the call would also be a
good idea.

The more participation we get in the metadata effort, the broader the
call with be for support when it gets in the standard (in ODF 1.2).

I think we have covered most of the ground but it would not hurt to have
duplicate use cases that reflect local concerns, even if they could be
subsumed into a larger use case.

It gives people and their organizations a sense of participation and
ownership, as opposed to standards that are developed by small cabals
that decide what is or is not important.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

PS: BTW, for those of you who know OASIS types with influence over the
website, aliases for URLs are not that difficult as I recall from
administering Apache many years ago and would provide easy to use and
remember URIs for our documents. I assume there is some wat to push the
alias out to the client instead of the actual URI so that bookmarking,
etc., is always done using the alias.

************

The Metadata SC has just posted a draft of metadata use cases at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-metadata/download.php/19226/Metadata_UseCases14July2006.pdf

Metadata will be at the heart of semantically rich documents, adapting
ODF based applications to legal, medical and other specialized domains,
integration with other office formats. Now is the time to influence how
use cases that support your members needs and subsequently the
requirements for metadata in ODF.

Some of the use cases already under development address Asymmetric
metadata (same document but different metadata, such as in contract
negotiations), supporting enhanced searching, ontology validation,
Sematic Web 'ready' documents and workflow. What about your use cases
and requirements?

To submit additional use cases or requirements:

1. Join the Metadata SC and contribute your time and expertise to this
effort (preferred),
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office-metadata,
or

2. Post your use case to the TC comment list:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/form.php?wg_abbrev=office

For further information, contact Patrick Durusau, patrick@durusau.net,
Chair, OpenDocument - Metadata.

PS: We would like to wrap the use cases up in 2 to 3 weeks so we can
start working on requirements in fairly short order. 2007, the target
date for ODF 1.2 is not that far away.

--
Patrick Durusau
Patrick@Durusau.net