Subject: Re: [office-metadata] grouping use cases

Bruce,

Looks like a good start.

Politically speaking, I would not mind having use case categories that
overlap to some degree. For example, medical professionals think of
their metadata needs as being different from those of the legal
profession. (Apologies to John Madden! It was the only example that came
to mind. John has a very sophisticated view of metadata but that has not
been my experience with all users.)

Yes, we need to categorize the use cases so that we aren't running all
over creation to assemble the requirements but it isn't that big of a
document at present and I rather doubt it is going to more than double
in size.

I would rather have requirements trackable back to "my" usecase from the
perspective of different users, so that they know their concerns have
been taken into account, than to really boil it down for the committee.
We are by and large accustomed to extracting that sort of information
and probably need to do the heavy lifting as required.

Note I am not disagreeing with your approach but merely cautioning that
we need to remember that a use cases document is not simply technical
input into a process but a political document to get buyin from users
who may not be at ease with spotting the similarities between their
needs and the needs of others.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--