Subject: relations and bibliographic use case

Let me step back and explain my requirement that the metadata support
account for the relational character of bibliographic sources. I think
this is why we had the idea I should post some examples.

The archive I posted/sent yesterday includes two examples of
bibliographic metadata; the sort of stuff we need to be able to store.

The first one is part-container relations: Article --> Journal, Legal
Case --> Court Reporter, Chapter --> Book, Track --> Album, and so
forth.

The second is a version relation, in this case between a Book and the
original. For the example I gave, the formatted bibliography entry
would include the information about the original, so this sort of
support is critical in a lot fields (think history).

The example markup and modeling I came up with is based on the
observation that these are critical relations that are also pretty
general. The same relations can be important to describe an ODF
document as a whole. Consider, for example, an organization that has a
collection of documents that they want to describe as "part of" some
formal collection of documents, or who want to track versions. I know
as a user *I* often want to do that (this document is a chapter for
this book I am writing, this is final draft of this manuscript, etc.).

It so happens that Extended/Qualified Dublin Core has a rich vocabulary
for just this sort of thing (and also for dates). Rather than invent
some new way to express this information, then, perhaps specific only
to bibliographic metadata, it makes more sense to reuse.

Just as a practical point, what in some contexts are documents (images,
texts, etc.) in other contexts become citations.