Subject: Consistent Identification?

Greetings!

The current language on Consistent Identification reads:

> IRIs provide a well-developed infrastructure for globally unique
> identification which also facilitates integration with network-based
> solutions, and so should be used to identify resource descriptions.
> These identifiers can then be used to link document content with
> descriptions, or descriptions with other descriptions.
>
> This requirement facilitates the following goals: facilitate
> innovation
> <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/OpenDocumet_Metadata_Use_Cases_and_Requirements#goal-innovation>
> and ensure interoperability
> <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/OpenDocumet_Metadata_Use_Cases_and_Requirements#goal-interop>.

No, IRIs facilitate integration with RDF based solutions and not
"network-based solutions."

Imagine for a moment that we have one of Gary's real estate transaction
systems, none of which use IRIs for any purpose whatsoever. Within the
interchange of those documents, the parties have identified metadata
that is meaningful to them and have agreed protocols for its processing.
There seems to me to be no reason to require that they use IRIs for
"globally unique identification." Their current systems of
identification suit their present purposes and forcing them to adopt a
new system of identification simply imposes a barrier to adoption of ODF
for their systems.

Nor does such a requirement "ensure interoperability." Recall that we
have specifically discussed that ODF applications must preserve metadata
that they do not understand. Can we really say that an ODF application
that does not understand some portion of metadata is really
interoperable with an ODF application that does? True enough, it doesn't
step on the metadata that the other application understands but on the
other hand, it doesn't use it.

Certainly we should say, for interoperability reasons, how metadata is
associated with portions of an ODF document (whether that is structure
or content). That means that there is a level playing floor for all ODF
applications that if they do understand the metadata, there is a clear
and consistent way for it to be applied.

Given that the variety of metadata that may be applied to ODF documents
is unknown and probably unknowable, we are not competent to specify at
this point the semantics and processing of that metadata. I would
include in the processing of metadata the identification that here is
suggested should be done by IRIs. If we are not competent to specify
enough processing to make all metadata meaningful as defined by the ODF
specification, I see no need to specify how such metadata should be
addressed.

*NOTE* that is not to say that for metadata we do define we should not
be able to specify that it must use IRIs, for example, because we are
defining the metadata and to me that includes identifying how it will be
identified. But that is solely for metadata that we define, not metadata
that is defined by others.

We don't lose anything by allowing users in particular communities to
identify their own metadata and avoid forcing people to adopt new
identification systems for their metadata.

I have heard that Ingenta now has 200 million triples for its
publications. Interesting but pales beside the number of triples that
would be required to identify all the subjects within the documents in
that single document collection. And recall that we are only talking
about one document collection and not the various collections of other
vendors who all have identifications systems of their own. Check out
Swoogle if you want to see how "consistent" identification is using
IRIs. If we all use different IRIs for identification of some subject we
are simply back where we started except now we have one more
identification system, IRIs, that has to be integrated with all the
existing ones and new ones that are being invented all the time.

Yes, people argue that there will be convergence on IRIs for identifiers
but it hasn't happened with a small community of people actively using
IRIs as identifiers. In view of the current experience I would say there
is no evidence for convergence at this point. Convergence strikes me as
more an article of faith than fact and as such I would prefer to enable
users of ODF to use any identifiers, including IRIs. Who knows?
Convergence may happen and if so, ODF should be ready to use them. On
the other hand, if it doesn't, ODF should be ready for that possibility
as well.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--