Subject: Associating Metadata with Content

Bruce,

In your proposal you do note this in one of the more difficult issues. ;-)

My impresssion from prior discussions was that metadata was going to be
held in a separate file (a good thing I think).

It maybe that I am being mislead by the examples but it looks like you
are suggesting that metadata be embedded in content nodes. Yes?

I think that is problematic for a couple of reasons:

1. It leads to duplication of metadata for content. For example, assume
that I want to associate some set of metadata with the string
"hobgoblin" in the text.

One option would be to mark every instance of the term in the document
and to associate metadata with it by embedding it in the structural
markup around that string.

But, that means that I am going to have to do that for every occurrence
of that string. And should anyone later in the process want to add
metadata to that term, they have to update every instance as well.

Seems to be better to allow a single location for that metadata and for
it to point in some fashion to all the content to which it applies.
Saves space (a point that is made in another standard about such
mechanisms) and is easier to update.

I haven't reached the substantive material on metadata in that standard
(yet) but note what looks like a typo on page 440 of the primer. The
parts of metadata are supposed to be Core, Extended and Custom. But
7.2.5 is Variant Types. According to the text not part of metadata but
appears as such in this version.

Not an issue we will settle today, need to schedule
pointing/associating/etc. metadata for a day on its own I expect, but I
wanted to make sure about what I was reading.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau