Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Associating Metadata with Content

On Oct 25, 2006, at 10:33 AM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

>> It maybe that I am being mislead by the examples but it looks like
>> you are suggesting that metadata be embedded in content nodes. Yes?
>
> This is the part I'm struggling with frankly (it's not easy to
> design this well). Am totally open to suggestions.

You know what? Something went wrong with the wiki, because I'm almost
sure I updated this page to be more clear yesterday:

<http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/Metadata_Field_Brainstorming>

Weird.

Anyway, yes, in this version, metadata is mixed in with the content
file, and I don't like that either.

What I had updated to yesterday was an option to do soemthing
slightly different:

<text:field meta:role="http://opendocument.xml.org/fields/citation";>
   <text:meta meta:target="info:doi/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx">
   <text:meta meta:target="info:doi/yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" cite:pages="23"/>
   </text:meta>
   <text:body>
     <text:span>(Doe, 1999:23; Smith, 2000)</text:span>
   </tet:body>
</text:field>

So here the link to the metadata descriptions is in (non-RDF) XML,
and it's really just a way to bind metadata to the GUI and content.
This is almost identifical in structure to the already approved
citation changes, but made more generic. The role URI is just way to
bind to a GUI control (in this case to edit a citation) and also to a
metadata file/graph. E.g. it says "this field is responsible for this
metadata".

You would be right to argue this is a kind of metadata, but I don't
see how we could avoid it.

Will try to update the wiki again to reflect this.