Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Metadata only for Content

On Nov 1, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> To ease the design of Metadata it might be a valid approach to allow
> Metadata solely for the document itself and for ODF Content, which is
> represented by a certain subset of ODF XML elements (e.g. the elements
> for paragraphs, table elements, images, etc.)

I agree. We can always extend later if there's demand for it.

> In this approach no Metadata is allowed for Styles and other Metadata.

Would we include spans and/or fields? I kind of need my citations (a
kind of field) supported of course.

> I would believe that Metadata is not necessary for Styles and other
> Metadata, but somebody stated in the last call a scenario of a
> requirement of Metadata for Styles, I am curious about this scenario.

No, the idea we'd discussed earlier was that styles might be a
mechanism to attach metadata to content. Not metadata *about* style,
then, but rather using styles to associate metadata with content.

For example, say you have a style called "Quote" or "Title." With this
idea, we'd allow an optional IRI to be added to a style, such that
content tagged with the former might effectively result in
<foo:quote>content</foo:quote> and the latter
<dc:title>Title</dc:title>.

It has the benefit of a certain kind of elegance in reuse of an
existing infrastructure (would be really simple to support!), but I'm
just worried it might break down beyond the simple case.