Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Metadata only for Content

On Nov 1, 2006, at 2:40 PM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> 	3 	No XML elements describing Styles or Metadata will be part of this
> subset

I think this is fine for now, though we may need to revisit.

Metadata about metadata is the named graph approach that I know Dan
Brickley and John Barstow were both thinking about. For example, let's
say you register a metadata graph in the manifest like so:

  <manifest:file-entry
	manifest:media-type="application/rdf+xml"
	dc:source="http://ex.net";
	manifest:full-path="meta.xml"/>

The dc:source attribute is metadata about the metadata graph. But there
are other ways to describe it using a URI.

But it's not something to worry about for your list, since it's trivial
to support it with the system I've been advocating. It just requires a
convention to assign a URI to the file.

> 	◦ 	Styles are the formatting of Content and therefore have a relation
> in ODF to Content. Metadata as well will have a relation in ODF to
> Content. But only as Metadata and Styles often correlate, does not
> mean they have a direct semantic relation. They only have an indirect
> relation over the same content they are referring to.
>  (There might be the idea of adding an attribute to a style to express
> it's consistent relation to a certain Metadata, but this won't need
> the same generic mechanism to relate multiple Metadata to content and
> is therefore neglected. Moreover it is redundant information).
> 	◦ 	Metadata about Metadata might be a written as a new instance of
> Metadata and can therefore be neglected as well.

"Neglected" in the sense that it doesn't matter to this particular
focus (associating document content with metadatq).

> 	4 	A "Document Object" is either the Document itself or needs to have
> 'user data' as descendent (XPath axes)
> User data can be any text or binary data the user added to the
> document aside of Styles and MetaData.
>  Any comments, before I try my XSLT skills on this?

The only thing I would say is be careful about thinking too much about
xpath for this.

For now let's just worry about what document objects we need to support
making metadata statements about.