Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Metadata only for Content

On Nov 2, 2006, at 7:20 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> Hi Bruce, Hi group!
>
> Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 1, 2006, at 2:40 PM, Svante Schubert wrote:
>>
>>>     3     No XML elements describing Styles or Metadata will be part
>>> of this subset
>>
>> I think this is fine for now, though we may need to revisit.
> Please do not hesitate to state your concerns right now. Designs are
> always closely developed to their requirements. Therefore the more we
> specify now, the sooner we are able to adapt, the less we have to
> spend time in the future.

I'm just referring to the discussion from yesterday. It seemed their
was some uncertainty about whether we thought we should allows styles
to have metadata attached to them. I'm fine either way actually.

> What I actually meant was that it only make sense to use the upcoming
> Metadata mechanism - whatever it will be - solely on the Content but
> not on Styles nor recursively on the Metadata.

What do you mean by not "recursively on the Metadata"?

Let me put it this way: if the schema I wrote for the model and syntax
is fine, then that's all that I care about.

>> The only thing I would say is be careful about thinking too much
>> about xpath for this.
> XPath are very useful to specify an algorithm to find the "Document
> Objects" to be implemented in XSLT. Why do you think it is dangerous?

Disregard what I wrote: I realized what you meant after the fact. I was
more referring to using xpath to link content and metadata.

> Furthermore, I have an addendum to the subset of XML elements:
> We may divide the subset into two subclasses of XML elements. One
> directly containing user data (binary & text data), the other the
> ancestors of them.

Can you clarify the latter, maybe with a couple of examples?