Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Metadata only for Content

Hi Bruce.

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

>>> I think this is fine for now, though we may need to revisit.
>> Please do not hesitate to state your concerns right now. Designs are
>> always closely developed to their requirements. Therefore the more we
>> specify now, the sooner we are able to adapt, the less we have to
>> spend time in the future.
>
> I'm just referring to the discussion from yesterday. It seemed their
> was some uncertainty about whether we thought we should allows styles
> to have metadata attached to them. I'm fine either way actually.
Is there anybody who wants to state the constraints, we addressed in our
discussion?

>> What I actually meant was that it only make sense to use the upcoming
>> Metadata mechanism - whatever it will be - solely on the Content but
>> not on Styles nor recursively on the Metadata.
>
> What do you mean by not "recursively on the Metadata"?
>
> Let me put it this way: if the schema I wrote for the model and syntax
> is fine, then that's all that I care about.
In case we would invent a reference mechanism to connect Content with
Metadata, the recursive usage would be to reference Metadata with
Metadata and this Metadata again referenced with Metadata.
But please believe me, I do NOT think this is useful.

>>> The only thing I would say is be careful about thinking too much
>>> about xpath for this.
>> XPath are very useful to specify an algorithm to find the "Document
>> Objects" to be implemented in XSLT. Why do you think it is dangerous?
>
> Disregard what I wrote: I realized what you meant after the fact. I
> was more referring to using xpath to link content and metadata.
Fine.

>> Furthermore, I have an addendum to the subset of XML elements:
>> We may divide the subset into two subclasses of XML elements. One
>> directly containing user data (binary & text data), the other the
>> ancestors of them.
>
> Can you clarify the latter, maybe with a couple of examples?
Sure.
We have two groups:
1) A paragraph "text:p" may contain directly user-data (text data), so
it is defined in the RelaxNG of ODF 1.1:

<define name="text-p">
    <element name="text:p">
        <ref name="paragraph-attrs"/>
        <zeroOrMore>
            <ref name="paragraph-content"/>
        </zeroOrMore>
    </element>
</define>
<define name="paragraph-content" combine="choice">
    <text/>
</define>

2) But for example "office:body" only contains indirectly Metadata, for
instance by having a "text:p" descendant, which might be a child of
"office:text".
"office:body" itself may only contain elements 6 different XML elements,
it does not directly contain user data (no text data nor binary data).

<define name="office-body">
    <element name="office:body">
        <ref name="office-body-content"/>
    </element>
</define>
<define name="office-body-content" combine="choice">
    <element name="office:text">
        <ref name="office-text-attlist"/>
        <ref name="office-text-content-prelude"/>
        <zeroOrMore>
            <ref name="office-text-content-main"/>
        </zeroOrMore>
        <ref name="office-text-content-epilogue"/>
    </element>
</define>
<define name="office-body-content" combine="choice">
    <element name="office:drawing">
        <ref name="office-drawing-attlist"/>
        <ref name="office-drawing-content-prelude"/>
        <ref name="office-drawing-content-main"/>
        <ref name="office-drawing-content-epilogue"/>
    </element>
</define>
<define name="office-body-content" combine="choice">
    <element name="office:presentation">
        <ref name="office-presentation-attlist"/>
        <ref name="office-presentation-content-prelude"/>
        <ref name="office-presentation-content-main"/>
        <ref name="office-presentation-content-epilogue"/>
    </element>
</define>
<define name="office-body-content" combine="choice">
    <element name="office:spreadsheet">
        <ref name="office-spreadsheet-attlist"/>
        <ref name="office-spreadsheet-content-prelude"/>
        <ref name="office-spreadsheet-content-main"/>
        <ref name="office-spreadsheet-content-epilogue"/>
    </element>
</define>
<define name="office-body-content" combine="choice">
    <element name="office:chart">
        <ref name="office-chart-attlist"/>
        <ref name="office-chart-content-prelude"/>
        <ref name="office-chart-content-main"/>
        <ref name="office-chart-content-epilogue"/>
    </element>
</define>
<define name="office-body-content" combine="choice">
    <element name="office:image">
        <ref name="office-image-attlist"/>
        <ref name="office-image-content-prelude"/>
        <ref name="office-image-content-main"/>
        <ref name="office-image-content-epilogue"/>
    </element>
</define>

Best regards,