Subject: Re: [office-metadata] RDFa model and xml:id

On Dec 13, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Patrick Durusau wrote:

> So if I copy and paste:

> I haven't lost the context????

In my citation case, an application would have to look in the metadata
files to find all the statements related to that field, and then move
them over as well.

I'm not an engineer, so I don't really KNOW that this is a problem, but
seems to me something we ought to discuss. I am assuming copy-and-paste
is an issue, and you that it is not. We need to clarify this with the
engineers.

> The non-duplication of data is a presumption that is *not* shared and
> neither you nor Bruce have made a case for it. To this point I have
> heard, RDFa does it that way, which is fine by me, but not an argument
> that we should do it as well.

For the record, I'm not invested in this position either way.
Duplication per se isn't a problem for me.

> What I am trying to suggest is that if we can do linking along the
> lines I have suggested, then sure, have RDF in the metadata. Or to put
> it another way, RDFa is designed for a different format than ODF and
> whatever its merits there, I don't think we should take it over
> wholesale for ODF.

I agree with the don't use it wholesale, but also with the don't reject
wholesale. There is board overlap in use cases here, even if the
formats are a little different.