Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Example of rdfa in a medical note

John,

John Madden wrote:

> Hi Patrick,

>> or

>> While elsewhere:
>>
>> <metadata xml:id="m_001>
>>   <property="snomed:birthdate"/>
>> </metadata>
>>
>> <metadata xml:id="m_002>
>>   <property="snomed:age"/>
>> </metadata>
>>
>> Noting that I can add more properties, perhaps ones that use other
>> vocabularies to enable mappings to vocabularies other than snomed
>> without having to touch the content of the content.xml file.
>>
>> The xml:id is only linking the delimited content to the metadata  for
>> that content, nothing more or less.
>>
>> Oh, you were saying something about loss of granularity...? ;-)
>>
>> Hope you are having a great day!
>

> If you put xml:id on every element single element that you ever
> referenced in the document your strategy would work fine.

This really should have been a default in ODF 1.0.

> But isn't this just shifting the problem ?  Now I can't understand my
> RDF without having the content document open onscreen next to it.

No. It is separating the purely technical XML problem of associating two
or more things together for some purpose in the file from adding
semantics to some content.

One of the barriers that is ignored in RDFa is that the burden of
authoring RDF is too high. A lesson that SGML almost died learning. Why
would you author RDF by hand if you had a drop-down menu where you could
make the appropriate choices? Leads to more consistent results and is
easier to teach. Possibly less powerful but as Michael Sperberg-McQueen
said in a conversation at XML 2006: "Generality is greatly over-rated." ;-)

> Perhaps that doesn't matter -- especially if you've got a widescreen
> monitor!  ;-)
>
> Seriously, in a fundamental way it doesn't matter. xml:id is
> precisely as "granular" as rdfa is. That's quite right!

Yes!

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--