Subject: why not new attributes? (RDFa model and xml:id)

Hi All,

I think we made good progress today on agreeing on a number of points,
and narrowing down where we disagree on to effectively a single point
(great!).

A suggestion on that follows ...

On Dec 13, 2006, at 12:30 PM, Patrick Durusau wrote:

> So if I copy and paste:

> I haven't lost the context????
>
> Looks to me like I have and so far I have seen no proposals to
> restrict copying of content that would preserve the inline metadata.

If you copy-and-paste to another document, you lose the semantics (and
might end up with id clashes if not careful). Those ids are meaningless
without the additional RDF/XML metadata in the package.

In the RDFa approach, you use the same number of attributes, but the
semantics are right there.

I'd like to return to a question we really didn't have time for:

Why from an implementation standpoint might it be a problem to add new
metadata attributes?

Suggestion, then (and Patrick just said something similar; just
suggesting to put it on a dedicated wiki page):

If people still want to persist with the xml:id-only approach (which I
do not support), I'd suggest they document it with use case examples on
a new page on the wiki.

We can reserve the existing page for the hybrid approach, and then
compare them.