Subject: Re: [office-metadata] RDFa model and xml:id

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 12/13/2006 01:36:24 PM:

> Elias,
>
> Elias Torres wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >That's right. I didn't say the context of the data, I said "in-context
> >metadata". You are correct that moving that around works "within the
> >document", but not across multiple content.xml or separate packages.
> >

> No, doesn't work even within documents *unless* your cut-n-paste starts
> and stops are the right places. That was my point.
>
> >I said that if we have the metadata in-context (e.g. with the data) then
we
> >can move it and we don't have to worry to either extract/copy the data
from
> >the metadata files as defined by the manifest.

6pm</div>

> >meta.xml
> >
> ><rdf:Description about="party1">
> >      <starttime>today at 6pm</starttime>
> >      <x>...</x>
> >      <y>...</y>
> >      <z>...</z>
> ></rdf:Description>
> >
> >I'm just warning us that with RDF is not easy to move subsets of the
data
> >around unless we have some containment mechanism (which now we do via
the
> >manifest). However, just using xml:id doesn't tell us which file we are
> >actually using. Do you know what I mean?
> >

> In the absence of a relationships file, yes. Which we have not
> discussed. I am not convinced it is necessary.
>
> Do you see a problem with matching any xml:id in any metadata file?
> Given that people might attach different metadata to the same content.
>
> >Now... if we used in-context metadata

about="party1"
> >property="starttime1">today at 6pm</div>
> >
> >Then we can move it around and we don't have to bother dealing with
what's
> >stored in the meta.xml
> >

> Only if you are careful to select the outside <div about="party1">. How
> do you guarantee that all select operations are going to do that?
>
> I think I understand what you mean by "in-context" metadata but I think
> you are missing the "correct" select issue that is required to preserve
> the right context.

I think you are somehow thinking that users see XML markup and are
selecting parts of it. The implementation can make use of the RDFa
processing rules to resolve in-context metadata to capture a large set of
the selection without losing it. People don't see in the screen <div> and
place their cursor after the i in div. It might be the case that we might
lose one property value, but hey nothing is perfect, however, everything
else below it can be re-used.