Subject: Re: [office-metadata] RDFa model and xml:id

Elias,

Elias Torres wrote:
<snip>

>>Only if you are careful to select the outside <div about="party1">. How
>>do you guarantee that all select operations are going to do that?
>>
>>I think I understand what you mean by "in-context" metadata but I think
>>you are missing the "correct" select issue that is required to preserve
>>the right context.
>>

>I think you are somehow thinking that users see XML markup and are
>selecting parts of it. The implementation can make use of the RDFa
>processing rules to resolve in-context metadata to capture a large set of
>the selection without losing it. People don't see in the screen <div> and
>place their cursor after the i in div. It might be the case that we might
>lose one property value, but hey nothing is perfect, however, everything
>else below it can be re-used.

No, actually that is not what the processing rules, at least as of 20
October 2006. Under section 4.1 it says:

"The [RDFa element] under consideration at any time is the [current
statement], and its parent element is the [context statement]."

As I read the rule, only the present element and its parent are captured
for context. That may or may not be sufficient. It is certainly an
arbitrary limit that is being touted as a "context" solution.

Better than nothing I suppose but only just. What happens if parent + 1
provides needed context?

Oh, and you are presuming that there is no intervening content between
the parent and its child [current statement]. I would be surprised if I
tried to select some text and the selection expanded to include material
I did not want.

Assuming we are not limtiing the metadata that can be supplied, I could
even point to a parent element in the metadata to control how much
context is selected when a copy-n-paste operation is being performed.
Which would have the same select more content problem I just noted for RDFa.

Suspect the select and preserve metadata is actually a hard problem. I
can't say I am impressed with the parent/[current statement] default.
Fortunately, since RDFa is not a standard, we can define whatever rules
we think are appropriate.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--