Subject: Re: [office-metadata] RDFa model and xml:id

On Dec 13, 2006, at 3:57 PM, Elias Torres wrote:

> I see a tangible benefit and that is content-duplication. We tried
> explaining this on the call, but I guess we didn't make progress on
> that.
> Let me repeat this again. RDF by nature deals very well with specifying
> metadata externally from the content, so technically I can't argue
> with an
> external only approach. However, content-duplication is something very
> important ...

I'm not sure that's the only issue.

There may also be problems from an API and processing perspective with
the non-standard mechanism of associating properties with content
nodes?

E.g. this ...

<metadata xml:id="m_001>
   <property="snomed:birthdate"/>
</metadata>

... *might* be possible to be made valid RDF, but I don't think it's so
straight-forward. So then we have the same metadata files with standard
RDF/XML and non-standard ODF RDF/XML, with little clear benefit for
anyone.*

I'll defer to Elias to explain if and why my hunch here is right (or
not).

Bruce

* I'm actually more comfortable with using the style redirection that
Florian likes to indicate properties than the xml:id approach for this
very reason (keep the package RDF files standard and clean). But that
would still involve a meta:property and/or meta:class attribute on the
style definition, in which case it's effectively XML window dressing.