Subject: Re: Splitting View and Model

Svante.Schubert@Sun.COM wrote on 12/19/2006 07:59:55 AM:

> Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> >
> > On Dec 19, 2006, at 3:57 AM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
> > Hamburg wrote:
> >
> >> Which means: I don't have an opinion whether we need typed meta data
> >> for ODF, but if we need it and if we want to display that meta data
> >> within a document, then we need the localization features.
> >
> > BTW, there's also a second method to achieve this, which is to use a
> > configuration file, which could even be an RDF or OWL schema that
> > defines the range of the property as a datatype.
> >

> If we think of the content as the part to be shown (View) and the
> metadata describing the Model, I would try to separate these as much as
> possible. I am aware that there is no proof that this is better in

Thanks for clarifying that.

> simply stating I would like to do it, only that this design is taken
> ideas from the MVC design pattern.
>
> According to this I would like to move the @content attribute value and
> the date type completely to the metadata. Remember our example of
> changing the Gregorian Calendar to the Japanese, where by theory the
> content (View) does not have to be effected. But this is just a informal
> note and no proof yet, I will continue later with the example of the
> intersection of semantics.

A couple problems I see with moving them both is how do you find the
metadata that has it.

      ###localized date###

First, there are many meta RDF/XML files. We would have to search them all
on every edit of the date.

Second, how are you suggesting we model it?

<rdf:Description rdf:about="content.xml#foo">
      <rdf:type rdf:resource="odf:Content">
      <rdf:value rdf:datatype="xsd:date">2005-08-01</rdf:value>
</rdf:Description>

or

<rdf:Description rdf:about="content.xml#foo">
      <dc:date rdf:datatype="xsd:date">2005-08-01</rdf:value>
</rdf:Description>

-Elias