Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Re: Splitting View and Model

Hi Elias,

Elias Torres wrote:

[...]

> A couple problems I see with moving them both is how do you find the
> metadata that has it.

>       ###localized date###

The metadata that hold it can easily be found with a (RDF) XML file,
which stores all relation between content (View) and metadata (Model).
I stated this last in the second part of
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-metadata/200612/msg00135.html
> First, there are many meta RDF/XML files. We would have to search them all
> on every edit of the date.

When you connect metadata with content, the reference is known and
stored in that RDF XML file.
Each relation of the mapping stores the relative URL to the metadata of
the package.
(Note: I am not quite sure, if RDF is the best solution, but here it is
taken as an approach)

> Second, how are you suggesting we model it?
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="content.xml#foo">
>       <rdf:type rdf:resource="odf:Content">
>       <rdf:value rdf:datatype="xsd:date">2005-08-01</rdf:value>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> or
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="content.xml#foo">
>       <dc:date rdf:datatype="xsd:date">2005-08-01</rdf:value>
> </rdf:Description>

Neither way. As the relation to the content and the metadata explaining
the data are two different things.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";
        xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#";
        xmlns:date="http://www.date.org/";>
    <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.date.org/terms/#discoveramerica";>
        <date:discoveramerica
rdf:datatype="xsd:date">1492-10-12</date:discoveramerica>
    </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

The mapping file would use ODF related rdf:Property to express basics
about the metadata vocabulary.
For example if the value is the same as used by the metadata (odf:equal).
These basics would be provided from the application handling the
vocabulary (Plugin) and help a lot if the application
They will help us a lot when not knowing the grammar (i.e. the Plugin is
not available).

If the value is the same as used by the metadata (odf:equal) and other
metadata are depending on it, the user would be warned, if no plug-in is
available.
If the content is unequal, but the semantic is based directly on the
text (e.g. date), the content should not be changed as the metadata
would become inconsistent.
The last is odf:newSemantic, where the semantic is not directly related
on the content (e.g. important).
But the latter is not firm, I feel there IS a difference between
semantics as 'date' and 'important' but not sure, how to define it, yet.

All properties and mapping stated in N3:

@prefix rdf:    <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>.
@prefix odf:    <urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:rdf#>.
@prefix date:   <../meta/date.xml#>.
@prefix con:    <../content.xml#>.

#
# ODF PROPERTIES FOR RELATION OF CONTENT AND METADATA
#

# overall base relation
odf:resource a rdf:Property.

#resource can only be equal or unequal
odf:equalValue    a  odf:resource.
odf:unequalValue  a  odf:resource.

#Semantic of subject is represented by Object
odf:equalSemantic a  odf:unequalValue.

#Semantic of subject is added to the Object
odf:newSemantic   a  odf:unequalValue.

#
# RELATIONS BETWEEN CONTENT AND METADATA
#   Only three relations are being used:
#    odf:EqualValue, odf:EqualSemantic, odf:NewSemantic
#

# 1)
date:discoveramerica    odf:equalSemantic      con:foo.

To RDF XML generated (using http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/N3Resources):

<rdf:RDF xmlns:date="../meta/date.xml#"
    xmlns:odf="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:rdf#"
    xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";
    xmlns:con="../content.xml#">

    <rdf:Description rdf:about="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:rdf#resource">
        <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property"/>
    </rdf:Description>

    <rdf:Description rdf:about="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:rdf#equalValue">
        <rdf:type rdf:resource="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:rdf#resource"/>
    </rdf:Description>

    <rdf:Description rdf:about="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:rdf#unequalValue">
        <rdf:type rdf:resource="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:rdf#resource"/>
    </rdf:Description>

    <rdf:Description rdf:about="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:rdf#equalSemantic">
        <rdf:type rdf:resource="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:rdf#unequalValue"/>
    </rdf:Description>

    <rdf:Description rdf:about="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:rdf#newSemantic">
        <rdf:type rdf:resource="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:rdf#unequalValue"/>
    </rdf:Description>

    <rdf:Description rdf:about="../meta/date.xml#discoveramerica">
        <odf:equalSemantic rdf:resource="../content.xml#foo"/>
    </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

Best regards,