Subject: Some definitions (maybe)

Greetings,

In preparing for the meeting later today I noticed a couple of terms
that I think have caused me to stumble in the ensuing discussion. Two in
particular have been a concern.

Granularity: Bruce has remarked that the use of xml:id results in a lost
of "granularity." Given my background with ISO 8879, I hear the term
"granularity" as making reference to what can be marked up in a document
instance. However, I don't think that is what Bruce means by that term.

Granularity in the sense Bruce is using the term means how to associate
information with an rdf:about attribute. That is the implicit
association of the subject-object-predicates in the RDF model.

In-context metadata: Elias uses the term "in-context" metadata to mean
more than simply the recording of metadata inline. My error was in
hearing "in-context" as the equivalent of "inline" metadata.

In-context metadata relies upon a mechanism specified in the RDFa
whereby metadata such as the object or predicate of a triple may be
contained by an element that has the rdf:about attribute. In terms of
resolution, the processor walks up the containers until it finds the
rdf: about attribute.

Hopefully Bruce and Elias can confirm these definitions before we start
our meeting later today (or correct if I am completely off-base). I have
long felt that we were missing each other due to different language
practices but those are the hardest to resolve.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau