Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Multiple content nodes representing on RDFsubject

Svante,

Ok, so the problem is multiple segments of text (contained in different
ODF elements) to which I want to attach RDF metadata.

Hmmm, well, using your table example, I am making the simplifying
assumption that the cells are contained in the same row.

As I understand Elias's presentation last week, if my subject was Bruce
D'Arcus I would have an rdf:about="someURI" attribute on the container
element and then on the multiple segments would have the attributes that
complete two separate RDF triples, one for "Bruce" and one for
"D'Arcus", but both of those "roll up to" the subject, which is shown by
the rdf:about attribute.

It will probably make real RDF experts cringe but last night I was
thinking that the container with rdf:about="someURI" is similar to
inheritance of attributes.

That is that we are accustomed to saying that an element inherits
attributes from a parent element. Makes it easier to be consistent and
saves typing on the elements that inherit the attribute.

While it certainly could be the case that an entire RDF triple could be
written on every segment in the example it is easier to simply specify
the subject only once and allow that to be "inherited" by subsequent
other parts of an RDF triple within a container.

Noting that the "inheritance" in this case is interrupted by a container
element with an rdf:about attribute as opposed to the occurrence of
another attribute and that it goes the opposite way from what we usually
describe as inheritance.

NOTE: I have *not* seen the notion of inheritance used in any RDF
literature so please don't repeat it unless some RDF expert thinks it
bears repetition.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--