Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Multiple content nodes representing on RDF subject

On Jan 3, 2007, at 8:40 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>> If the user must be able to edit the content inline (the whole point
>> of Elias' demo!), then it makes sense to me that the data would be
>> converted to in-content metadata.
> In the demo the user edited a calc document in OOo. On what kind of
> inline do you refer?

*That* kind.

>>> Sorry, the causality of your argumentation is not completely clear
>>> to me.
>>
>> That it is not something specific to our work. It is a GUI and
>> implementation issue.
> This is exactly a problem that will occur for the ODF implementation
> for which we are suggesting the metadata ODF model.
> If the problem is solvable by some types of metadata ODF model we have
> to consider this, otherwise we act careless.

I'm not saying we don't consider it, but I am saying let's not get
ahead of ourselves when we may find simpler solutions. E.g. let's first
assume that we can solve it without inventing some new association
mechanism.

[...]

>> I explained this in detail off-list. In short, RDF does association
>> by URI, and XPointer and XPath are all about XML trees.
> You might have missed that I wrote that it is an ODF application
> implementation detail, which does not have to be RDF related.
> If the ODF package provides RDF XML and the API of an ODF application
> provides RDF related terms, you should not be afraid of what is used
> behind the scenes to solve problems for the users, which might be
> unsolvable with RDFa.

But I think I've been saying very clearly that a) the general issues
are solved by the RDFa approach, and b) that this is a corner case that
should not affect the design.

It's like saying that in designing the method to attach a style to
content (an attribute) we also must specify (in ODF) what happens when
that content node is split. Does the style apply to both pieces, or
only to the first?

Your solution is to say, no style attributes; let's have indirection.

> The RDF XML is the persistence unit of your package, it represents the
> RDF triple(s) to the next URI notated subject to the time it is being
> saved.

Yes.

> XForms uses XPath expressions to reference to content similar the ODF
> application relate internally here to metadata.

I'm afraid you should ask the W3C semantic web group what they think
about your reasoning here.

> The structure won't brake as it is organized by the same unit, which
> does the references.

Explain to me how you would associate an in-content property span to a
subject identified with a global URI.