Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Multiple content nodes representing on RDF subject

On Jan 3, 2007, at 7:45 AM, Patrick Durusau wrote:

> As I understand Elias's presentation last week, if my subject was
> Bruce D'Arcus I would have an rdf:about="someURI" attribute on the
> container element and then on the multiple segments would have the
> attributes that complete two separate RDF triples, one for "Bruce" and
> one for "D'Arcus", but both of those "roll up to" the subject, which
> is shown by the rdf:about attribute.
>
> It will probably make real RDF experts cringe but last night I was
> thinking that the container with rdf:about="someURI" is similar to
> inheritance of attributes.
>
> That is that we are accustomed to saying that an element inherits
> attributes from a parent element. Makes it easier to be consistent and
> saves typing on the elements that inherit the attribute.
>
> While it certainly could be the case that an entire RDF triple could
> be written on every segment in the example it is easier to simply
> specify the subject only once and allow that to be "inherited" by
> subsequent other parts of an RDF triple within a container.

If I understand you right, I think whether or not we call it
"inheritance", it's just a convention. In RDF/XML, you have the
container node with the rdf:about (or rdf:ID) to wrap statements. In
RDFa, you have the about attribute to do the same. But, yeah, I guess
the verbose way would be:

<text:span meta:about="http://ex.net/me";
meta:property="http://ex.net/name";>Bruce</text:span>