Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Questions on the RDFa split solution..

Hi Svante,

On Jan 16, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> Your example:
> --------------------- 8< ---------------------
>
> <text:p meta:class="http://ex.net/foo";>
>  <text:span object:id="xyz" meta:about="http://ex.net/x";
> meta:property="ex:title">Some </text:span>
> </text:p>
> <text:p meta:class="http://ex.net/foo";>
>  <text:span object:id="xyz" meta:about="http://ex.net/x";
> meta:property="ex:title">Title</text:span>
> </text:p>
>
> ... and in the package:
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://ex.net/foo";>
>  <ex:status rdf:resource="http://ex.net/Important"/>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> There are three subjects here:
>
> 1) two blank node paragraphs
> 2) an external resource (another document) represent by the URI
> "http://ex.net/x";
>
> --------------------- 8< ---------------------
>
> Let me see if I understand your example correctly.
> I assume that you want to give three RDF statements in your example :
>
> The first is easy as it is from standardized RDF XML:
> "http://ex.net/foo"; has the predicate ex:status with the external
> resource "http://ex.net/Important"; as object.

Correct.

> The second is easy as well, as it was the problem:
> A subject "http://ex.net/x"; has the predicate ex:title, which
> object is the literal "Some title"

Correct.

> The third is a little puzzling, I guess you want to say something
> like:
> The parent paragraph is of type "http://ex.net/foo";, therefore the
> literal "Some Title" is as well important?
> Does your example even tell that  "http://ex.net/foo"; as the the
> property "ex:title" with the Object "Some Title" as well?
>
> It would help me, if you show it in RDF XML. How would all
> statements look like, if the user had exported them to RDF XML?
> It is obvious, that import and export of all RDF information as RDF
> XML will be an important scenario for us, which we should keep in
> mind.

I assume you already know the first two. The third one is an example
of a blank node: a resource without a URI. In RDF/XML it would be:

<rdf:Description>
   <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://ex.net/foo"/>
</rdf:Description>

I am just using the RDF type there to hang different propeties off of
it (without having to use a URI).

Note: I'm really not sure how Elias or other RDF experts would feel
about how I've done that, but it seems to be one mechanism.