Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Regarding the “split” problem/use-case

On Jan 17, 2007, at 7:42 AM, Florian Reuter wrote:

> If I wanted to mark parts of a paragraph with metadata I would simple
> use structures which are there and attach and RDF statement to it.

Sure, the question is which ones?

> In the given use case I would use a bookmark and attach metadata to
> the bookmark.

Interesting idea. Would you then disallow metadata to be attached to
spans?

> Bookmarks can start and end at “everywhere”. I really dislike the
> object:id approach.

I in general dislike that we've spent the last month on what is
basically a corner case, and have been forced to invent a specific
mechanism to address it.

But ...

> With bookmarks you can achieve the same thing as with object:id’s ---
> I believe.
>
> E.g. consider the ODF fragment
> <text:p >XXX <text:bookmark-start
> text:name="_MYBOOKMARK"/>MMMMM</text:p>
> <text:p >MMMM<text:bookmark-end text:name="_MYBOOKMARK"/> XXXX</text:p>
>
> We could then have an RDF statement like
> (bookmark::_MYBOOKMARK, my:mark, “Important”)

Not really. This achieves the same thing as using meta:about. It
identifies a subject; not an association between objects for merging
the literals (which is what the object:id attribute does). So you
haven't really solved the problem ;-)