Subject: Does Bernd cover Bruce's 3 scenarios? & RDF XML export by XSLT

Hi Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> Svante and I had a long chat yesterday, and we agreed (I think!) that
> we really have a handful of different kinds of cases we need to deal
> with. I want to suggest we think of them like this:
>
> 1. adding custom metadata to describe the document (the simplest;
> already done, no controversy)
>
> 2. add custom metadata to document content, either to describe:
>     a. the document (may include references to non-document resources)
>     b. some non-local resource
>
> In general, the enhanced search use case is an example of 1.
>
> The citation use case is an example of 2a.
>
> John's medical use case and Elias' demo are examples of 2b.
>
> The primary technical issue is in general the "2" cases. So I really
> suggest we focus on just two cases: Elias' demo and the simple split
> object literal that Michael presented.
When you read Bernd's use cases after last call, do you think you have
to add further use cases, which are yet not mapped?

> If Svante's still wants to persist with an approach which does not
> allow some metadata attributes in content, then write up some code
> (document fragments + XSLT) that shows how you'd do those two use cases.
>
> I also want to mention that I put up examples about six weeks ago.
>
> <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/Metadata_Examples>
>
> I even created a separate page for people to add those examples recast
> using Svante's idea:
>
> <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/Metadata_Examples_Package-Only_Alternative>
>

> I still don't see anything there though ;-)

Yes, you were very early with your proposal. Bernd's use cases should be
able to be mapped till next week.

> PS - An XSLT to read RDF triples from the content file using the
> hybrid approach Elias and I have advocated would be brain-dead simple.
> Think of a template like:
>
> <xsl:template match="*[meta:property]">
>   <rdf:Description rdf:about="{@meta:about}">
>     <xsl:element name="{@meta:property}">
>       <xsl:value-of select="."/>
>     </xsl:element>
>   </rdf:Description>
> </xsl:template>

This is a new use case, that you should add to Bernd's list.
I assume you are showing the RDF XML export by using the RDFa approach.
I might challenge you, by going a step further. If I am a user and would
import existing RDF XML to reuse existing RDF statements, would itn't be
nice to export a similar structure?

If I reuse the example
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-Syntax-multiple-property-elements

<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar";>
  <ex:editor>
    <rdf:Description>
      <ex:homePage>
        <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://purl.org/net/dajobe/";>
        </rdf:Description>
      </ex:homePage>
      <ex:fullName>Dave Beckett</ex:fullName>
    </rdf:Description>
  </ex:editor>
  <dc:title>RDF/XML Syntax Specification (Revised)</dc:title>
</rdf:Description>

If we edited the literal 'Dave Becket' your XSLT have to be improved.

BTW the export of RDF XML using a package only approach would be the
concatenation of all RDF XML files of the package into a single file.

Regards,