Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Question about the IRI of a RDF subject from an ODF document

Hi Elias,

Thanks, and good to see you back (even if bruised)!

On Feb 5, 2007, at 11:43 PM, Elias Torres wrote:

> However, we need more than that, because our package doesn't have a
> stable
> location. Hence, I would suggest we ground it on some URN, like LSID
> for
> example or whatever.
>
> urn:lsid:www.oasis-open.org:SOME_PACKAGE:SOME_UUID/eliast.jpg

So you are suggesting that all documents get a global base URI, and
that we use that to create stable URIs for embedded files (like
images).

Right?

How would you suggest we specify that? Would it be enough to say that
the document requires a global uri that is stable and unique, and
suggest your lsid as a good option to achieve that?

Am thinking in some cases, an organization or user might want to
specify their own http URIs as the base URI.

> Now if we use RDF/XML we can make use of
> xml:base="urn:lsid:www.oasis-open.org:SOME_PACKAGE:SOME_UUID/".
>
> <eliast.jpg> dc:title "Elias' mugshot" .
>
> For the case that the same exact picture lived on Flickr, then we can
> use
> owl:sameAs:
>
> <eliast.jpg> owl:sameAs
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/images/holidayimage.png> .

And what do you think of the idea I floated earlier to use the manifest?

  <manifest:file-entry
      manifest:uri="http://flickr.com/photos/doe/1";
      manifest:full-path="Pictures/foo.jpg."/>

In that case, if a uri is present, then that is used as the subject.
Otherwise, one adds the path to the base uri.

I have no opinion on which is better; just asking.