Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Question about the IRI of a RDF subject from an ODFdocument

Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM wrote on 02/06/2007 08:12:39 AM:

> Elias,
> Bruce,
>
> some comments are inline:
>
> Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> > Hi Elias,
> >
> > Thanks, and good to see you back (even if bruised)!
> >
> > On Feb 5, 2007, at 11:43 PM, Elias Torres wrote:
> >
> >> However, we need more than that, because our package doesn't have a
> >> stable
> >> location. Hence, I would suggest we ground it on some URN, like LSID
for
> >> example or whatever.
> >>
> >> urn:lsid:www.oasis-open.org:SOME_PACKAGE:SOME_UUID/eliast.jpg
> >
> > So you are suggesting that all documents get a global base URI, and
that
> > we use that to create stable URIs for embedded files (like images).
>
> Not all documents actually contain metadata, and even if that is the
> case, not all require a global base URI. I therefore would suggest to
> make it optional. In that case, you can add it if you need it, and can
> omit it if it is not required, or not reasonable.

Sounds right. If you also read the other email I sent today, I was just
bringing up xml:base as a reminder how relative URLs work within RDF, XML,
etc.

> > Right?
> >
> > How would you suggest we specify that? Would it be enough to say that
> > the document requires a global uri that is stable and unique, and
> > suggest your lsid as a good option to achieve that?
> >
> > Am thinking in some cases, an organization or user might want to
specify
> > their own http URIs as the base URI.
>
> I would only provide the possibility to add a base URI, and maybe would
> provide some guidelines, but would not require that a certain URI schema
> has to be used.

Agreed. Any URI schema can be used. I was using LSIDs because they are not
http resolvable (sort of) and I wouldn't want to suggest in the spec that
we'd use an OASIS http domain name to name ALL ODF packages out there.