Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Question about the IRI of a RDF subject from an ODFdocument

Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM wrote on 02/06/2007 11:15:57 AM:

> Hi Elias,
>
> Elias Torres wrote:
> > "Bruce D'Arcus" <bruce.darcus@OpenDocument.us> wrote on 02/06/2007
07:52:48
> > AM:
> >

> > I guess what I'm after is trying to solve the problem of "relative
URIs"
> > because the string (not a URI) "Pictures/foo.jpg" is only valid within
this
> > package. If we were able to generate globally unique URIs then we could
> > make use of the statements (knowledge) made in any ODF also outside of
it.
> > In other words, I'm trying to reduce the amount of special processing
> > within ODF spec before the metadata model can be useful in third-party
RDF
> > tools.
>
> The ODF specification already defines hoe reltive URIs are resolved. It
> says something along the lines that relative URIs are resolved by
> unzipping the package and resolving them then. This unzip-step is
> required by all RDF tools anyway, so I don't think there is special
> processing required.

Unzip-step is fine. That shouldn't be a problem. However, I'm still not
sure how does URI resolution work.

C:\doc.zip

within [doc.zip]

images\foo.jpg

Do you mean resolution to be "C:\images\foo.jpg"? What I mean by resolution
is how to obtain a stable absolute URI that we can use to refer to
something within the package either in the content or as a file in the
package. This goes back to Svante's observation from the spec that a triple
cannot use a relative URI reference.

> That is to say: If you need a base URI that is different from the URI of
> the document in RDFa/HTML or RDF/XML+HTML, then we probably need them
> for ODF, too. If you don't need them in RDFa/HTML or RDF/XML+HTML, then
> I'm not sure if I understand why you need them for ODF.

A base URI is definitely needed in many cases by both RDFa and RDF/XML. If
no xml:base is specified, then the location of the document is used as the
base. In RDFa for example, the HTML is already found a URL (and hopefully
that's stable) so relative references work out nicely to other items on
that page. But for example think of an HTML page that you would like to
burn to a CD-ROM. Then you save the remote file, add either a <BASE
href=""> or xml:base and all of the triples in there would be equivalent to
the remote file.

Above is just one the use cases for xml:base (which is really useful). Now,
I'd think it'd be even more useful in the case of ODF because the location
of the file is always changing.  Remember, this is only the case if we
use/allow relative references. This might not be a big issue in ODF already
because absolute URIs are not needed as they are in RDF models.