Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Rough notes (I won't call them minutes just yet)

Hello Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2007, at 10:14 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:
>
>> As far as I know there was agreement to figure out these advantages
>> by providing implementations for the examples Bernd has given
>> http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/ExampleDocument.
>> Do we still agree on that?
>
> I and Elias already provided tons of examples.
>
> <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/Metadata_Examples>
>
> I don't have time to do more. So if someone else wants to adapt them
> to Benrd's page (through links or whatever) that's fine, but it's not
> likely going to be me.
>
> I really don't think we have time for more discussion. Even if we
> agree today that we need both the attribute and RDF/XML approach, we
> still have a lot of work to do.

I agree that there is little time left. Believe me I try to focus with
my questions on this list on the remaining problems.

We might split the RDF metadata problematic into two general areas,
which affect ODF

   1. The subject is in the content
   2. The object is a literal and in the content.

Concerning the first, I raised yesterday the question about the
restriction on absolute RDF references.
Concerning the second, in case the RDF is being mapped to RDF XML it is
identical with the XForms use case we already have in ODF. We might even
reuse validation mechanisms.
Certainly presumed that the current XForms implementation would be
widened to acces Text fields aside of the current Form controls only and
possibly enhanced in some other ways.
It might even be assumed that a 'RDF user interface' - whatever it might
look like - take advantage of the XForms implementation and would even
look similar to an User interface that you have in mind for RDFa. The
XForms syntax / implementation might look more complicated as RDFa but
we might reuse an existing ODF syntax / implementation by extending it
to our basic needs.

XForms becomes reasonable, when preexisting RDF XML file comes into
play. For example, the user would like to import his RDF XML, for
instance the VCARD XML as shown in
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/ExampleDocument/UseCaseUsingXForms
reuse, edit and extend it and export it later from the ODF document.

Bruce, please understand that this is not meant as a provocation, but I
am not aware, how we would address this scenario by RDFa. I plainly have
no concrete idea about it.
Would the RDF XML being stored in the RDFa approach as well and the
literal being duplicated - once in the RDF XML and once in the text?

> I'd rather see two proposals if there's any doubt that we don't need
> both approaches (there isn't for me).
>
> Bruce

Regards,