Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Rough notes (I won't call them minutes just yet)

Hi Patrick,

Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Michael Brauer wrote:
>
>> Hi Patrick,
>>
>> the last sentence is close to my concerns. An application *may* of
>> cause preserve arbitrary meta data at arbitrary elements. But ODF
>> would become difficult to implement if we require that applications
>> *must* preserve or *should* preserve arbitrary meta data at arbitrary
>> elements. So what we have to do is to identify those elements where we
>> want to say that applications *should* preserve metadata. For all
>> others elements, applications *may* preserve metadata.
>>
>> Is that clearer?
>>
> Only just. Sorry.
>
> Part of my concern is that you seem to assume that an application can
> distinguish between metadata and I assume non-metadata. If it is truly
> arbitrary markup that has been added, how does an application make that
> distinction? It could be metadata or it could be non-metadata. All the
> application knows is that the additonal material is unknown to it. (In
> other words it cannot know if it is "metadata" or "non-metadata.")

Well, I think the question is whether we add the meta data attributes
and elements to the schema or not.

If we add them to the schema, then an application is able to know
whether a certain attribute is meta data or not.

If we don't add them to the schema, then this is in fact not the case.
But how do you add meta data support to an application if you don't know
what meta data looks like and where it may occur?

So, basically what I am requesting is to add the meta data attributes
explicitly to the schema, and to not make any assumption about
attributes and elements not defined in the schema, even though they may
be meta data for some applications.

> Why does ODF become difficult to implement if arbitrary metadata is
> allowed? How is arbitrary metadata different from arbitrary non-metadata?
>
> I think this is where we are missing each other. I don't understand how
> something that is arbitrary can be divided into metadata and non-metadata.

> And if we don't require preservation, how do we handle the "lite" to the
> "rich" client scenario? Do we just have to depend on having "lite"
> clients that do preserve what they don't understand? Even though it is
> not required.
>
> Obviously you are seeing an issue with preservation that is escaping me.
> Can you say why preservatiion of arbitrary content (whether metadata or
> not) is difficult?

There is a technical issue and an usability issue.

The technical issue is: Office application in general, regardless
whether they are ODF applications or use other XML file formats, don't
operate on the XML itself, but turn it into their own internal models.
They convert this internal model back to XML only if the document is
stored. This means, office application can only preserve data there they
have a counterpart in their models, and they usually have only
counterparts for those objects that are defined the file format, and
that they support. One may  of cause implement that there also
counterparts of elements or attributes not defined in the schema (we
suggest that for instance for document meta data by saying it should be
preserved), but doing that general is a huge effort, in particular
because you do not only have to keep the data itself, but also have to
preserve the structure.

The usability issue is that you neither can present the unknown data to
the user in a way that she or he does understand it, nor do you know
what shall happen to them if you edit the document. But if one edits
information where you don't know what it is, the chances are high that
the result is not reasonable. What's serious about this is that another
application that does know about the additional content does not know
whether a certain document is the result of such an editing operation or
not. It actually does not matter much whether this content is unknown in
the meaning that it is not defined in ODF, or unknown in the meaning
that is only not supported. Editing a document in both cases may destroy
the document. The only solution is to delete the unknown data in doubt.
But that's a contradiction to saying it should be preserved ...

For this reason: It is fine to say that an application *may* preserve
arbitrary elements and attributes, and it is of cause reasonable to
actually preserve these elements in many cases, but it is probably not a
good idea to say that arbitrary elements and attributes *should* or
*shall* be preserved in general.

I hope this helps

Michael